Special people in our lives

Friday, February 29, 2008

TODAY IS LEAP YEAR DAY

On a special day like this, I will blog about special things. Of the many special things, say, beginning this year, will be my parents and sister’s visit to see my family here downunder. We had a fabulous time, going around, exploring some parts of scenic Melbourne, the city area and the suburb where I live.

Dandenong Mountain


Yarra Valley - Kellybrook Winery, the vineyard in the background

ST KILDA BEACH



When the holiday is over, school begins. Seeing my 2 kids starting school in a whole new environment has been such an experience. Schooling here is somewhat different and I’ve had many contact sessions with the school. I’m amazed at the level of parental involvement that I see in this school. Parents run the canteen (from cutting, baking to preparing all the orders from the kids), help out in classrooms, run the uniform shop, bookshop and organize programs and events.
A school newsletter is sent back home every Wednesday, detailing the happenings in school, this really helps me to get to know the people and what they do in the school. I’m sure a lot of effort is put in to churn that out every week.
I attended a training session for parent classroom helpers on 19th Feb. I was surprised to see the 20-odd mummies and 1 daddy there, eager to sign up to help in their kids’ classrooms. Frankly, I was half-hearted about it but have no regrets sitting through the session. Tim's teacher had asked me to help him out next Thursday. Going back to the classroom! And my own son's classroom!!!
Alvin and I have been invited to school twice, once for the Parent Info Nite and another for Parent-Teacher-Meeting. Both sessions have helped us know a lot more about what the teachers and the kids do in school, and really it’s getting us parents involved in the kids’ education right from the start.
I met an angel who invited me to coffee after the drop off 2 weeks ago. There’s a coffee session for parents after drop off every Wednesdays in the school canteen. It’s especially good for me to chat with the other mummies. I’ve learnt a lot.

Sooooooooooooooooo much has happened since the year began... I'm thankful that I get to take stock of my life, mentally and creatively... I’ve gained a lot – not around the waist or on the bathroom scale of course...well, intangible things – more time, more love, more patience, more hope… One thing is for sure, I’ve also lost some…some bad things, such as anxieties and stress…

I skipped my New Year Resolutions earlier this year and thought I won't bother at all... but lately, I've started to think about it... it's 2 months late, but better late than never. My New Year Resolutions centers around my life here downunder, as a mother, a wife, a friend and a FREE person...

No where on earth is a perfect place to live, but if we must live, then we should try our best to live it well, not just for yourself, but also for those around you… HAPPY LEAP YEAR DAY!

6 comments:

Fond Beads said...

Hi Sis,

Loved this entry ;)
So glad to read that things are moving along smoothly for you, if not smoothly, than at least its exciting. Have fun in whatever you do & take care.

Lots of love,
Hwee

Happy Family said...

Millions of thanks my dear sis... all these would not have been possible if not for the support and encouragements from back home...I'm counting on you!!! ;)

Anonymous said...

Your bro here.
Was wondering how come Feb blog was so empty, hence hasn't been checking on this.
Not much excitement here, other than a terrorist escape, who in turn is being terrorised by the law enforcers.

Parents ok, planning for more trips, maybe china in mid year + to downunder, I should be coming along.

Happy Family said...

hi bro, we've got limited internet usuage, so in early Feb, reached the MAX and so it was a snail crawl to login... it refreshes on the 25th of every month... now have to limit blogging and timothy cant play his mini-clips, hehehe... would be so happy to have u and parents here, it'll be a bit of a squeeze, house is juz apartment size..lookin forward, take care and dun work too hard

Anonymous said...

hi, chai,

so happy and envious of you and your family leh...i wish i was there with my family too...thus i started my own blog...

your princess looks so pretty and tim...wow! so handsome...

when you come back to visit, must come my house hor...

this time, i think i will not move oreli lah...but who knows...hehe

love seeing your blog, so must constantly update hor...

love you,
shirlena

Anonymous said...

so nice to hear your kids and you are enjoying time in Melb...it's always very fulfilling to be a full time mummy to your kids...:)

Janice