Special people in our lives

Friday, April 11, 2008

D.I.Y Science

Science is Fun. For kids, it’s a subject that helps them relate to what’s happening around them. In Science, kids natural sense of curiosity is given the chance to come out and play. It’s very interactive and they get answers to their ‘Whys?’ What they read in their textbooks comes alive in the science lab and they can get their hands on the experiments. The whole learning process in Science is what I believe to be summed up in this popular Chinese proverb:

I hear and I forget
I see and I remember
I do and I understand
~~ A Chinese Proverb

Unfortunately, my son’s curriculum in his grade does not include Science. It’s not reflected in his daily timetable. No Science books, no Science lessons, and no experiments…It’s such a shame that he is missing out on this fantastic learning experience in school.

Thank goodness for the Science books I brought over and thank goodness for the internet and thank goodness that I've taught Science in schools. At home, Timothy and I have our own D.I.Y Science. We read the text; search internet for more info, and I scrap around the house for things to carry out experiments found in the activity books. Sometimes, we make little charts and have Science quizzes.


For the topic on plant parts, Timothy watched the celery sticks turn into blue, red and yellow. He learnt about the functions of the stem and cleared the misconception that the leaf takes in water.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, lucky Timothy for having a fantastic Science teacher... mother :-)

Auntie Miao

Fond Beads said...

Timothy & mum....keep up the good work ;)

- Ah Yi